[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford, 4-15-15. Blue-headed Vireos, Purple Finches

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Apr 15 16:37:50 EDT 2015

FOY, 2 Purple finches and 2 Blue-headed Vireos. Also 2 Wood  Ducks, FOY for
Boston Hollow.
7 YB Sapsuckers, 4 in one location. Way too early for juvies,  maybe
fighting over mates or nesting and drumming sites. I find YBSA in  same spot every
year. Wood Ducks in BH Brook just north of beaver  pond, right next to the
road. F Turkey trotting down the road again, near  beaver pond.
E. Phoebes much quieter now, getting down to business I  guess. Still very
active around rock cliffs, etc.
I heard a deep clucking sort of sound, which I knew was a  Raven, but when
I looked up I saw a brown bird circling. Turned out to be adult  RT Hawk
being seriously harassed by the Raven. A great look for comparative  sizes
since they were practically touching at times. Raven looked every bit as  big as
the hawk, but with narrower wings.
Seems to be an exceptional number of Pine Warblers singing this  year.
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Apr 15, 2015 7:45 AM - 2:00  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
35 species

Wood Duck   2     FOY at Boston Hollow. In the stream next to BH  raod.
Mallard  2
Wild Turkey  1
Turkey Vulture   6
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1      Being harassed by angry Raven
Mourning Dove  6
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  7     4 of  them in one spot, all chasing around.
Obviously adults, at least 1 M and 1 F but  I'm guessing 2 pairs. Perhaps
fighting over nesting/drumming sites.Location I  find them at every year.
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  (Yellow-shafted)  2
Eastern Phoebe  30     Much  quieter now but busy around nesting sites
Blue-headed Vireo  2   FOY
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  2
Common  Raven  2     1 making a deep clucking sound and harassing a  RT
Hawk near nest site. Easily as big as the hawk.
Tree Swallow   7
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  4
Red-breasted  Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Brown Creeper   2
Winter Wren  2
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin   10
Louisiana Waterthrush  2
Pine Warbler  25      siging loudly from the pines. Heard at every stop.
Probably grossly  underestimated.
Song Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Northern  Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Common Grackle   1
Brown-headed Cowbird  12
Purple Finch  2      FOY. Singing from the pines at the Union end of Barlow
Mill Rd, Old logging site  that has been re-cut this past winter
American Goldfinch  1

View  this checklist online at

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com