[CT Birds] Fwd: eBird -- Mondo Ponds -- Apr 25, 2015

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Sat Apr 25 12:36:24 EDT 2015

We had a successful Hidden Gems early morning bird walk at Mondo Pond: 43 species. FOY male Yellow Warbler, a Northern Parula, 2 Green Herons. a Broad-winged Hawk, and several singing Warbling Vireos. Our next walk is Saturday, May 2 at Wilcox Park, one of my favorite sites in Milford. See our webpage for details. www.ctaudubon.org. Today's complete bird list below.

Frank Gallo
Apr 25, 2015
Mondo Ponds
Traveling
1.5 miles
95 Minutes
Observers: 7
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Hidden gems
early-morning Birdwalk. Met at JFK school; walked up the west side of the main
lake; then counterclockwise around the West Pond; then clockwise around the main
lake back to JFK. Very cold but some migrants around. First-of-the-year, yellow
warbler (male) on the north side of the West Pond; continuing northern Parula
(male) on the north east side of the main lake; several continuing warbling
vireos singing.
6 Canada Goose -- Both lakes
10 Mallard -- 6 in main lake
1 Wild Turkey -- By JFK before walk started. I did not see it
3 Double-crested Cormorant -- 1 flying west; 2 on rocks in main lake
2 Green Heron -- FOY; chasing one another around west pond and fishing on edge of main lake
2 Black-crowned Night-Heron -- West edge of West pond; 1 flew to north side of main lake
1 Broad-winged Hawk -- Circling over main pond
1 Red-tailed Hawk -- Sub adult over main lake
1 Herring Gull -- Flying west
5 Mourning Dove -- Singing west end
8 Red-bellied Woodpecker -- At least 4 west end; 2 at N &S end of main lake
8 Downy Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker -- Female southeast edge of west pond
6 Northern Flicker -- 4 west end
3 Warbling Vireo -- 1 singing at each pond
4 Blue Jay
12 Northern Rough-winged Swallow -- Main lake
2 Tree Swallow -- main lake
6 Barn Swallow -- Main lake
4 Black-capped Chickadee
4 Tufted Titmouse
2 White-breasted Nuthatch -- West end
4 Carolina Wren -- 2 west end
4 House Wren -- 1 south/north ends main lake; 2 west side
3 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher -- West end
4 Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- 1 peninsula north side main lake; 3 west side
16 American Robin -- Scattered around
1 European Starling
1 Northern Parula -- Northeast edge on main lake singing in cedar
1 Yellow Warbler -- FOY; Male sitting low in bush northwest side of west pond; sang once.
14 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) -- Scattered around; odd drab female with little yellow and strange disheveled plumage continues
1 Pine Warbler -- Singing in spruce at south end main lake
1 Palm Warbler - drab bird on west edge of main lake
2 Chipping Sparrow -- North side of west pond singing in usual place
4 Song Sparrow
12 White-throated Sparrow -- Peninsula; scattered around singing
12 Northern Cardinal -- Singing
12 Red-winged Blackbird
40 Common Grackle -- South end spruce
6 Brown-headed Cowbird
3 Pine Siskin -- Feeding in larch at south end of main lake
8 American Goldfinch -- Scattered
2 House Sparrow

Sent from my iPhone

Frank Gallo