[CT Birds] Eastford Osprey, Great Blue herons

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 25 17:38:24 EDT 2015

Once again the Osprey nest is active in the Eastford marsh off  US 44.
That's on the left, about 2 miles east of Rt 198. Ospreys have been there  at
least 8 years that I know about and likely much longer. It has failed twice
in that time, once because the nest fell after the heavy snows of 4 or 5
winters  ago, and then fell again when they tried to rebuild it on the same
snag, which  had lost all it's limbs. The current nest was rebuilt on another
snag, lower and  to the right. That nest failed once when the male apparently
abandoned the nest.  Today I could see the head of one bird moving up and
down in the nest.
There are also at least 4 Great Blue Heron nests active in the  colony
there, probably more, but I didn't get out my scope. There used to be 10  or
more in that colony, but several also fell in that snowy winter.

Don morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com