[CT Birds] Louisiana waterthrush, Steep Rock Preserve (Shepaug River), Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 26 11:17:17 EDT 2015

 Decided I needed to get to my favorite spot to find a Louisiana water thrush, along the Shepaug River here in Washington, CT in the Steep Rock Preserve (south west of Washington Depot, CT), this morning. Parked in the riding ring parking area by the bridge over the Shepaug River and walked down the railroad bed trail a short distant to hear a Louisiana waterthrush on the opposite side of river. Did not see the bird. Boy scouts were leaving their camping area via the railroad bed trail, thus the waterthrush was on the other side of the river. Happy to hear from two of the dads of the scouts that there sons "rouged it" last night as they had no cell phone reception at the scout camp ground. The dad's described a bird that they had seen flying along the river, common mergansers no doubt. A bit slow bird wise on the river, of course I did not get there until 9:50 AM or so.
David W BabingtonWashington, CT