[CT Birds] What's up with "Black Crowned" Yb Sapsuckers?

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 17:10:40 EDT 2015

I never heard of this bird until I saw one and looked it up.  Fortunately I
looked in the 2nd edition of Sibley, because I wouldn't have found  it in
the first. And online, an obscure Cornell site is the only  place I found
reference to females where  "some birds show an  all-black crown.". And I
still don't know how common it is or what  to call it exactly. "Variant"?
I saw one on 4/16 (Thursday) but couldn't get a pic. Didn't  know what I'd
seen until after I looked it up. On Saturday, 4-18 I took  pics of some
Sapsuckers at a different location, about 2 miles away. And I  didn't realize
till I looked at the pictures that one has an all black crown.  And as near as
I can tell, looks otherwise like an adult female. Possibly the  same bird,
but I'd judge very unlikely. There were Sapsuckers at the original  location
on Saturday also. The pictures aren't very good, taken from quite a
distance. but I think they show what they need to. What do you think? I believe
the white stripe on the wing was a little wider and brighter on the first

Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com