[CT Birds] Today's Gull report

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Tue Apr 21 13:45:13 EDT 2015

For those interested in chasing Gulls this afternoon and tonight-

I started the morning at 7:15 am in the fog at the West Haven boat
ramp still hoping for the Thayer's Gull Julian found Sunday afternoon.
Low tide was at 8:00 am. When I arrived at the boat ramp there were
zero Gulls there!

I then drove down to Oyster River stopping at Bradley Point but only
found 24 Gulls, so I continued to Oyster River. The tide was nearly
low and about 36 Gulls were standing on the outer sand bar in the fog.
In the group was a stunning adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL. Gulls
started building slowly coming in from off the Sound. Also there were
21 Green-winged Teal, 50 Brant, 11 Greater Yellowlegs, 2
Oystercatchers, and 1 Red-throated Loon (winter plumage) swimming up
the shallow drainage creek that splits the sand bar. Half the Gulls
took off and flew out into the fog (including the LBBG) and the other
half grouped up at the outer sand bar.

I drove back to the boat ramp, but stopped at Bradley Point since the
Gull numbers were increasing, as well as the Brant numbers. Nothing
unusual there. At the boat ramp there were 30 Gulls with the
continuing 1st cycle ICELAND GULL. I stayed for a while and then
reversed my trip to Oyster River where I found most of the Gulls had
flown off with the now incoming tide.

I then went back to the boat ramp again stopping at Bradley Point
where the Gull numbers and Brant continued to increase, plus a dozen
Scaup and 17 Green-winged Teal on the sand bar with the Brant and
Gulls. Off shore, I noticed a large flock of Cormorants coming out of
the fog from out in the Sound heading into New Haven Harbor.

As I pulled into the boat ramp, the Cormorants were on the water in a
feeding frenzy off the northern tip of Sandy Point. There must have
been a large school of baitfish because it attracted at least a
hundred Gulls joining in the feeding frenzy. In that group I spotted
2- 1st cycle ICELAND GULLS. The Gulls soon dispersed and vanished!
Most headed out of the Harbor, and a good number landing on the end of
Sandy Point.

I headed back to Oyster River again stopping at Bradley
Point....nothing unusual. Nothing at Oyster River at this point either!

I decided to drive down to Southport Beach. When I arrived I spotted a
small group of roosting Gulls where they usually are on the sand bar.
I pulled out my scope, looked through them quickly (mostly Herring and
Ring-billed) and 9 Bonaparte's Gulls. They all took off within a
minute of my being there as an Osprey flew over and scattered all the

Nothing at Buryinghill Beach!

On the way home, I stopped at Long Beach in Stratford.....50 Gulls
nothing unusual, a small group of Lesser Scaup feeding along the beach
at the western-most end of the parking lot.

Russian Beach- nothing!

Back to Oyster River- 3 Ring-billed Gulls

Bradley Point- large flock of Brant, handful of Gulls- nothing unusual.

Boat ramp- 36 Gulls- nothing unusual.....NO THAYER'S!! :^(

Back home......steamed codfish, fresh asparagus, salad and fresh Peru Mango!!

This afternoon the tide and wind should be good for Oyster
River......Good Luck!

I have a feeling at least one of those Mew Gulls are still hanging around!

Keith Mueller