[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/yale Forest, 4-28-15; FOY BT Green Warblers, Osprey

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 16:36:41 EDT 2015

Once the sun began to poke through, the birds were a little  more active
and more vocal than they have been for the last week. Found the 1st
Black-throated Green Warbler of the year right where I usually do. Got another  later
as a bonus.
A little serendipity never hurts. I drove through the mill  ponds on Barlow
Mill Road and noticed a pile of sticks in the swamp that I  hadn't seen
before. I was already by them before it occurred to me it might be  new beaver
activity, so I turned around and went back to look. Sticks turned out  to be
caught in the brush as the result of the recent high water. But I happened
to look around and saw an Osprey perched on the top of a dead tree. Never
would  have seen it If I'd kept going. It stayed teed up for quite a while
and let me  take its picture. I was ready to leave when I noticed a white spot
in a tree at  the far end of the swamp. Turned out to be a Red-shouldered
Hawk, which soon  dove down and caught something from the brush. Wouldn't
have seen that 1  either. Just after the RS flew off I heard a loud screaming,
as the Osprey  took off too. I managed to get a few flight pics as it
departed.
I finally pulled ahead and started to turn around. But I heard  birds
singing, practically next to the car. One was my 2nd BT Green of the day.
Another was a bright Yellow-rump in the tree right over my head, and the third
was a L. Waterthrush (which I'd heard earlier). Would have missed the new 1s
as  well, if it hadn't been for those pesky beavers - which weren't even
there!

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Apr 28, 2015 8:15 AM - 1:45  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
40 species

Canada  Goose  2
Wood Duck  4
Common Merganser  5   1 M, 4 F
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture   10
Osprey  1     BH FOY
Red-shouldered Hawk   1
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  7
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  6
Downy Woodpecker   2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern  Phoebe  20
Blue-headed Vireo  9
Blue Jay  15
Tree  Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse   2
Red-breasted Nuthatch  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  6
Brown  Creeper  1
Winter Wren  1
Hermit Thrush  1
American  Robin  10
European Starling  2
Worm-eating Warbler  1   heard and seen - after 20 minute chase through
brush
Louisiana  Waterthrush  4
Northern Waterthrush  2
Black-and-white  Warbler  3