[CT Birds] Smith's Longspur viewing info and directions

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Fri May 1 23:25:25 EDT 2015

Thanks to Bruce for a great find and having the gumption to broadcast news quickly to allow others to get there before dark.

***Please see my note below about where the first visitors should  watch from tomorrow.

Once you enter Allen's Meadow from Rt 7 north, the paved road ends shortly and you make a left that takes you to a large parking area. Bear right into this area, with the soccer pitch on your right, and park at the end. There is a rope across the path at the end of this parking area. Beyond this is a grassy and gravel area with a number of white goalposts stacked against the hedge on the left.

The bird was seen feeding on the short grassy area adjacent to the goalposts, and although disturbed by referees' whistles from the surrounding game, it would always return to this spot where it fed actively.

It seems quite confiding and with good fieldcraft, excellent views can be obtained.
To enable the bird to continue to use this area, I would suggest looking from the roped-off area and avoid venturing further down the path.

The bird is an adult male coming into breeding plumage and is a well-marked bird. It was seen up until dark when it was heard to call and apparently moved into the taller grass and weedy area behind the goalposts, presumably to roost.

I will post pictures to my blog later tonight.

Sent from my LG Escape™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone