[CT Birds] Portland Wagunk Meadows Tuesday Morning 4/28

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 20:39:04 EDT 2015

Wagunk Meadows WMA. Portland, CT, 28 April 2015 7:10 AM:

It was quite a morning for yellow-rumped warblers: on the walk from the lot
on Route 17 down to the corn field along the river I counted over three
dozen. There were also lots of blue jays, great blue herons, a handful of
palm warblers, ruby-crowned kinglets, black-and-white warblers, wood ducks,

The dramatic event was when I came upon a red-tailed hawk hanging upside
down from a dead tree over a backwater beside the trail. I thought it was
caught, but after it flew away, I learned it was 'caught' on a hen hooded
merganser in a hole in the tree. She dropped into the water and swan away
with obvious damage to her left wing.

Russ Smiley

Marlborough, CT