[CT Birds] Boston hollow/Yale Forest, FOY Ovenbird, Least Flycatcher, lots of birds

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 21:27:34 EDT 2015

Interesting day today, overall. More birds heard and seen than  in the past
week, with FOY Ovenbird and Least Flycatcher; pretty early for  him I
think. In one area a large flock of Yellow-rumps; I counted 12  that I saw but
sounded like many more callng. All males that I saw. I've been  averaging
almost 2 FOY birds a day for at least the last two weeks now.
Stopped at a small pond to check for a Great Blue Heron and  found two, and
as I was watching them an Osprey with a fish flew in right over  my head,
circled the pond and landed in a snag to eat its lunch. I suspect all 3
birds are from the marsh on Rt 44 in Eastford with the heronry and Osprey  nest.
 5 Common Mergs still in the same pond.
47 species new daily high for the year. I've been finding 1 or  2 FOY birds
almost every day for at least the last two weeks now.
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Apr 29, 2015 7:30 AM - 1:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments:     FOY  Ovenbird and Least Flycatcher
47 species

Canada Goose  2
Wood  Duck  3
Common Merganser  5
Wild Turkey  1
Great Blue  Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  8
Osprey  1
Broad-winged  Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy  Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Least Flycatcher   1
Eastern Phoebe  20
Blue-headed Vireo  5
Blue Jay  12
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow  3
Black-capped  Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse  10
Red-breasted Nuthatch   1
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper  2
Winter  Wren  1
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  10
Gray  Catbird  1
European Starling  2
Ovenbird  1
Louisiana  Waterthrush  4
Northern Waterthrush  2
Black-and-white  Warbler  5
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  1
Pine Warbler   20
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  12     Big flock in  one area - probably a
lot more
Black-throated Green Warbler   2
Eastern Towhee  2
Chipping Sparrow  20