[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest; Ashford/Union. WARBLER FALLOUT, 3 FOY!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri May 1 17:35:46 EDT 2015

I had a good day this morning, more birds around than there  have been, and
a couple of new ones. I kept going till 1:30, then  started to head back.
At the old mill ponds on Barlow Mill Rd, I could hear a  lot of bird song so
I stopped to check. In short, the whole area was covered  with warblers,
mostly Yellow-rumps. I counted 21 Y-r in one small tree, and  there were quite
a few females as well as males; first F's this year.  In addition there were
numbers of Black-throated Blues, Black-throated Greens,  Northern Parulas
and Palm Warblers.
BT Blue and Parula were FOY, as were Yellow Warblers, found at  another
location. The birds covered the trees surrounding the north pond and the  marsh
there as well, so it was impossible to get any real count, but I'd bet on
100 Yellow-rumps and perhaps 10 each of the others. Only reporting on Ebird
what  I saw/heard of those. Those numbers are probably low.
There was nothing unusual going on at 10:30 or so when I first  went
through that spot, so I believe those birds must have fallen out there  after a
morning flight.  In addition, I had noticed earlier that there were  far more
Black-and-white Warblers than there had been, and I had already counted
more than 20 before I got to the ponds.
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
May 1, 2015 8:00 AM - 3:15  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Also  found, 1 UCONN van, 15 or so student birders and one
state ornithologist.
48  species

Canada Goose  3
Common Merganser  7   All females, there had been a male with them
Great  Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  2   Seen at different locations, a few hours and miles apart,
possibly  the same bird, but 4th day in a row I've had Osprey in the Yale  Forest.
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Mourning  Dove  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   8
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Pileated  Woodpecker  1
Least Flycatcher  2     2nd bird now  near where the bird found yesterday
Eastern Phoebe   20
Blue-headed Vireo  9
Blue Jay  12
Common Raven   1
Tree Swallow  6
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted  Titmouse  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted  Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  1
Winter Wren  2
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher  1
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  12
Gray  Catbird  1
Ovenbird  3
Louisiana Waterthrush  5
Northern  Waterthrush  3
Black-and-white Warbler  24
Northern Parula   4
Yellow Warbler  2
Black-throated Blue Warbler  5
Palm  Warbler  8
Pine Warbler  20
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)   60     A guess. There was  a warbler
fall-out of easily more  than 100 birds, mostly Yellow-rumps.
Black-throated Green Warbler   12     Some, part of the fall-out
Eastern Towhee   6
Chipping Sparrow  25
Song Sparrow  6
Northern  Cardinal  2