[CT Birds] Big day for Eastern Towhees Off Mount Misery (Griswold/Voluntown)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun May 3 04:48:34 EDT 2015

Saturday afternoon north of Mount Misery another quiet location in fact was hosting a considerable number of eastern towhees.  As I pushed on I  was not more than ten yards from a towhee at any time.  At least thirty were heard and more than ten males were seen.  Pine warblers and a couple downy woodpeckers moved through the trees while some robins were distant callers.
Earlier in the after noon a mixed flock was located in a dead trunk bog, consisting of eastern bluebirds, grackles, and red-winged blackbirds about six each all males.  Some phoebes, pine warblers, blue-gray gnatcatchers, and a Louisiana waterthrush were leading away from the bog.
Brian Williams   Grioswold