[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest; FOY Canada Warbler, otherwise quiet day

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu May 7 18:42:01 EDT 2015

I was very happy to find a Canada Warbler today, a little  earlier than
usual I think. CAWA is a signature species for Boston Hollow, one  of the few
places they breed in Ct, As a result they can be seen and heard  almost to
the end of summer, and once the nestlings are on their own a juvie can  often
be heard, trying his "pipes" for the first time. Sometimes the results are
interesting.
Even with nice weather and lots of black flies, it seemed to me  the birds
were a little quiet for the most part. Many of those singing seemed
unenthusiastic. with lowered volume and incomplete songs. More typical of much
later in the year. On a positive note, Common Grackles seem to have moved out -
 haven't seen one in a few days now. Still way too many Bh Cowbirds  though.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
May 7, 2015 7:45 AM - 1:45  PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
53 species