[CT Birds] Bent of the River warblers

Audubon Bent bentoftheriver at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:41:51 EDT 2015

The birding here at the Bent of the River has been improving every day the
past week.  Today we've had over 65 species, including 13 species of
Many of our nesting warblers returned in the past few days to their
previous territories:  Hooded, Blue-winged, Prairie, Pine, BT Green, and

At the feeder station today, 3 male Indigo Buntings were seen feeding, then
fighting, then feeding again.  We've also been treated to regular
appearances of Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and Ruby-throated
hummingbirds. Swamp sparrows have been somewhat regular, and Purple Finch
and Pine Siskin are still here.

Along the river, there have been multiple reports of Common Mergansers and
Wood ducks entering and exiting nest holes.  Near the blind and boardwalk
we've also had lots of activity from Belted Kingfisher and Bank Swallows.
Please try to limit your activity in this area.

It looks like we might have the apple blossoms and a big wave of warblers
at the same time later this week!

Good birding,

Ken Elkins
Education Program Manager