[CT Birds] Catbird notes

wirthwitte at att.net wirthwitte at att.net
Fri May 8 09:04:51 EDT 2015

What a difference a day makes. Quality of life went up dramatically at my house yesterday when the air was suddenly filled with the loud sound of...orioles? grosbeaks? something gorgeous...oh wait, it's the catbird who just returned. Song has snatches of bluejay calls as well as sections of osprey cries (yes, really--learned, I'm sure, from the ospreys nesting 500 feet away). The first day, three catbirds chased each other around and around in wide circles off and on, but the territory was all settled by the next day. Wasting no time- I saw a catbird carrying a weed stem into the multiflora rose.