[CT Birds] Tomorrow's Global Big Day & CT

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 15:21:17 EDT 2015

Hello CTbirders,
Based on the burgeoning number of reports on CTBirds, everyone is getting out and finding exciting new arrivals. Even if you can only make it out on occasion, I hope that you can find time to see what birds you can turn up on May 9th.
May 9th is the inaugural Global Big Day (http://ebird.org/globalbigday/), where eBird and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology are hoping to engage a worldwide network of birders to go out, count birds, and support global bird conservation. Our goal is to have over 4,000 species of birds reported to eBird in a single calendar day, and to raise $500,000 for bird conservation.
All you have to do to help is go birding, and how easy and fun is that? You don’t need to commit to a full 24-hours of birding on May 9th: a short visit to the local pond or woodland or even a few minutes in your yard is still a meaningful contribution! You just have to be an eBird user. CT already has a very healthy number of birders who us this international, secure, searchable database to record their own sightings and at the same time include them in the world's biggest citizen-science effort. If you've never tried his very user friendly way to record you sightings (as well as keep track of what else is being seen), this would be a great day to start
Perhaps if enough people are interested, there could even be some good-natured mini-competitions within Connecticut – such which county in the state can report the most species on May 9th?
For some more detailed information on the Global Big Day, check out Global Big Day HQ: http://ebird.org/globalbigday/. There are participating birders from Taiwan, India, Australia, Serbia, Portugal, Turkey, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Guatemala, Panama, and much more – totaling over 75 countries! I’m sure that Connecticut will be able to provide a lot of great sightings too, and look forward to seeing what you turn up.
Greg Hanisek
CT eBird ReviewerWaterbury