[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 5-9-15, FOY White-eyed Vireo, Bald Eagle

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat May 9 17:41:40 EDT 2015

First ever White-eyed Vireo and first Bald Eagle of the year, a  nice
adult.  the place was sleepy while it was cool and cloudy, until about  10:30
when it cleared very suddenly and the sunshine woke everyone up.
For the first time this year there were birds and lots of them  at the old
logging cut on Kinney Hollow Rd. which comes down from Rt 190 in  Union.
Amongst others, Blue-winged Warblers  there for the first time ever,  lots of
B. orioles, Chestnut Sided and Yellow Warblers. Also, Least  Flycatcher,
Purple Finch and House Wren, Catbirds, Towhees, etc. I  have had Blue-wings at
4 different locations in the Yale Forest this year, at  least 6 birds; far
more than I've ever had before. Still finding Least  Flycatchers in new
locations too. 61 Species.
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
May 9, 2015 7:30 AM - 2:00  PM
Protocol: Traveling
13.0 mile(s)
61 species

Canada  Goose  2
Wood Duck  5
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey  Vulture  5
Bald Eagle  1     FOY
Broad-winged  Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove   5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy  Woodpecker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Least Flycatcher   8
Eastern Phoebe  12
White-eyed Vireo  1     FOY  and 1st ever at BH
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Blue-headed Vireo   8
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay   15
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow  2
White-breasted  Nuthatch  1
House Wren  1
Winter Wren  1
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher  4
Veery  4
Hermit Thrush  1
Wood  Thrush  2
American Robin  12
Gray Catbird   15
Ovenbird  30
Louisiana Waterthrush  9
Northern  Waterthrush  7
Blue-winged Warbler  6     Amazing  number of Blue-wings for the Yale
Forest. Found at 4 different  locations.
Black-and-white Warbler  20
Common Yellowthroat   15
American Redstart  1
Magnolia Warbler  1