[CT Birds] Late May New Haven Bird Club Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Sun May 10 20:37:39 EDT 2015

Please note the following NHBC field trips occurring from May 13 through May 30.

River Road, Kent.  May 13, 7:00 am. Free and open to the public. The diversity of species  here includes ducks, herons, vultures, diurnal raptors, sandpipers, cuckoos, hummingbirds, kingfishers, flycatchers, vireos, swallows, wrens, gnatcatchers, thrushes, waxwings, wood-warblers, tanagers, grosbeaks, and orioles.  Meet at the Amity Shopping Center at 112 Amity Road, New Haven at 7:00 am.  Leader:  Steve Broker:  203.272.5192 (cell:  203.747.6843), ls.broker at cox.net.

Naugatuck State Forest,   May 16, 7:00 am. Free and open to the public. Enjoy the peak of spring migration in this superb birding location where we’ll search for both migrants and residents. The mixed hardwood forest is a great spot for Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers and many other species.  Last year on this trip we saw many different warbler species including Bay-breasted, Hooded, Blackburnian, and Lawrence’s. Meet at the commuter lot at Exit 25 off Rte 8, Naugatuck. This s a moderately strenuous and long hike. Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net

Nehantic State Forest and Hartman Park, Lyme.  May 17, 6:30 am. Free and open to the public.  Nehantic State Forest is home to Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers and many other species.  There are large ponds where you can find Wood Ducks, herons, flycatchers and other species.  Nearby Hartman’s Park is known for its breeding population of Cerulean Warblers.  Meet at 6:30 at commuter lot at Exit 55 off I-95 in Branford or the Keeny Road entrance to Nehantic SF on Rte. 156, Lyme at 7:00 am. Leaders: Bill Batsford and Chris Loscalzo, 203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

The next book the NHBC Book Group will be reading is North with the Spring by Edwin Way Teale.  The date for this discussion will be May 19th 7-9 in the 6th floor Conference Room at Whitney Center.  Kris Johnson, 203-288-3087  kriswaxwing99 at gmail.com
Barn Island Wildlife Management   May 23, 7:00 am. Free and open to the public. This will be our eleventh annual trip to this excellent birding spot.  We'll meet at the commuter lot at Exit 55 of I-95 and carpool to Barn Island which consists of large expanses of salt marsh, tidal pools, wetlands, woodlands, and open fields. We should see wading birds, shorebirds, and area residents such as Saltmarsh Sparrow, Marsh Wren, White-eyed Vireo, Redstart, Willow Flycatcher, and Bobolink.  Leaders: Bill Batsford and Chris Loscalzo, 203 389-6508, closcalz at optonline.net.
West River Ravine, Bethany,
May 24, 7:00 am. Free and open to the public.  We’ll do a loop trail that includes a powerline right-of-way, a deep ravine, and typical deciduous and coniferous forests.  There are steep areas going down and up the ravine so wear sturdy shoes.  Meet at the Regional Water Authority recreation parking lot on the south side of Hatfield Hill Rd. between Rt. 69 and Downs Rd.  Leader: John Triana: jtriana1 at rwater.com <mailto:jtriana1 at rwater.com>.

Kellogg Environmental Center/Osbornedale St. Park, Derby.  May 30, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Join us at this excellent birding location where we’ll look for late spring migrants and early nesting species. The center and park have open fields, woods, ponds, and streams.  Meet at the Kellogg Center parking lot, 500 Hawthorne Avenue.  Leader: Maria Stockmal: 203-488-3876 or m.stockmal at snet.net.

Larry Bausher
West Haven
NHBC Publicity