[CT Birds] African Collared Dove photos

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 12 19:50:12 EDT 2015

Maybe this link works better:        https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/
Frank MantlikStratford

     On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:38 PM, Frank Mantlik <mantlik at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

 For those interested, I have uploaded some photos I took on May 11 of the Stratford AFRICAN COLLARED DOVE (RINGED TURTLE-DOVE).
www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm
Evident in the photos (compared to Eurasian collared Dove) are the rather pale upper parts, the rather pale primaries not contrasting strongly with the rest of the wing, the white (not gray) under tail coverts, and the white outer web of the outer tail feathers. In addition, Mike Resch and I managed to record the bird's song, which was right on for the African species (and wrong for the European). I'll have to figure out how to upload that vocalization to the web.
Thanks again to Mike Warner for discovering this bird on May 10, and for quickly getting the word out.
Frank MantlikStratford