[CT Birds] Gungy Road Powercut and environs, Lyme and E. Lyme

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Fri May 15 17:49:29 EDT 2015

It was nice to re-immerse myself in bird song this afternoon on Upper Pattagansett Rd and Whistletown Rd. In East Lyme and then on Gungy Rd in Lyme and the powercut further down the road, right after the Hartman Park entrance.  Unfortunately I did not have time to visit Hartman Park.

In all areas that I visited today there was a constant background chorus of Warbling Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Ovenbird, Wood Thrush, and those tricky Redstarts!  They don't fool me anymore!  On Gungy Rd, add Yellow-throated Vireo into the mix.

Most birds that I either saw or heard today were nesting species, not migrants. Habitats were  mature forest or early successional (the Powercut )

Was hoping to hear a cuckoo, as I usually have YB Cuckoo in that area, but not today.
.

Highlights:

1 White-eyed Vireo
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, male (Powercut)
3 Blue-Winged Warbler
1 Prairie Warbler
2 Yellow Warblers going back and forth to a nest (Powercut)
1 Field Sparrow

Lists submitted to eBird

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford