[CT Birds] Free beer for flycatchers

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sat May 16 16:09:55 EDT 2015

I notice that on eBird and at times on this list, birders are noting the rendition for Alder Flycatcher song as "free beer." That does work but it's a fairly new usage. Historically, a call with "beer" in it has always been used as a rendition for Olive-sided Flycatcher, such as "hic-three-beers" - with the "hic" often inaudible.
I'm throwing that out there because I've seen a trend develop, because of all the bird sound available on line, of people identifying unfamiliar birds by call or song only. This is pretty risky in many cases given the amount of variation available in many bird vocalizations.
Seems possible to me that anyone IDing Alder or Olive-sided by song, without having much familiarity with either, could be crossing them up one way or the other. Take habitat into consideration, but also try hard to see the bird.
Greg HanisekWaterbury