[CT Birds] Exceptional ovenbirds leading the arrivals to Hell Hollow Pond (Voluntown/Sterling/Plainfield)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun May 17 22:44:02 EDT 2015

If anyone's missed the ovenbirds lately, Pachaug Trail at Hell Hollow Pond is bursting open with hundreds of the crafty warblers between the pond and Gardner Rd. (Voluntown) (using Mt. Misery Brook for the western boundary of observation). For four hours the calls coming from every direction wouldn't be silenced.  The veerys are increasing in numbers this weekend, maybe thirty heard on the 2.5 miles.  Common yellowthroats likewise were numerous around the pond and inside a dead trunk bog accompanied by yellow warblers.  Twenty five grackles were lining the the pond as well.  Insects were a brutal nuisance and I must consider that perhaps the birds are the most at risk now because I wasn't a target for bites today.  Only two ovenbirds were seen on the ground today as all their calls were from the trees above. A line of American redstarts extended down Gardner Rd. from the Frog Hollow Horse Campground.  Three kingbirds were observed catching insects above Hell Hollow; one Nashville warbler paused in front of me in the woods near Lowden Brook where three barred owls had just spent several minutes calling back and forth in the spirited manner they possess, reaching every note to their song.

Brian Williams
Griswold