[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 6-11-15; FOY YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, Eastern Kingbirds

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon May 11 15:55:35 EDT 2015

When I started out on Boston Hollow Rd today I heard  a Yellow-billed
Cuckoo calling when I stopped just past the beaver dam area. It  was on the
western hillside, beyond the pond. This is the 3rd or 4th  time I've gotten a
YBCU in that location over the years, but I'm not sure any of  them ever stayed
there more than one day.
I also had 3 FOY E. Kingbirds, 2 in the trees left  of the new house on
Barlow Mill Rd and 1 in the marsh of the factory   mill pond  north of the
causeway. Every year it seems they are quite a bit  later than the 1st ones
sighted in CT.  I usually get them in or near the  field with the old foundation
in it.
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
May 11, 2015 7:45 AM - 1:15  PM
Protocol: Traveling
7.0 mile(s)
62 species

Canada Goose   2
Wood Duck  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture   1
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  6
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo  1     FOY
Ruby-throated Hummingbird   1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Downy  Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  3
Pileated Woodpecker   1
Least Flycatcher  6
Eastern Phoebe  15
Eastern  Kingbird  3     FOY
Yellow-throated Vireo   1
Blue-headed Vireo  5
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo   6
Blue Jay  12
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   5
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted  Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
House Wren  1
Winter  Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Veery   10     1st time this year I've heard them sing their song,  not
just the call not Veeer
Hermit Thrush  2
Wood Thrush   1
American Robin  10