[CT Birds] 2,000th "Total Tick" Statebird in New England

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Mon May 11 20:08:19 EDT 2015

Today I saw a Tennessee Warbler in Rhode Island which was my 2,000th total tick in New England.  (By "total ticks" I mean the sum of my statelists for the 6 New England states.)  While of course this sighting was not in Connecticut, I've done a bunch of birding in Connecticut over the years.  My New England statelists are -
MA - 405
NH - 354
ME - 336
RI - 321
CT - 316
VT - 268
(Tennessee Warbler was the 235th species that I've seen in all 6 states.)
Shortly after I moved to New England in 1993 I met Denny Abbott, long-time New England birder from NH.  At the time he told me about his goal of trying to reach 2,000 in New England.  Since I had been into statebirding for some time, I thought it would be fun to pursue that goal as well.  And to put my total into perspective, Denny reached 2,000 in the year 2001 and he is now at 2,232 in New England!
Many thanks to all my CT birding friends who helped me find so many great CT birds over the years.
Mike Resch
Pepperell, MA