[CT Birds] Sparrow question

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 07:29:56 EDT 2015

Hi Aidan,

Saltmarsh Sparrows breed at Pine Creek in Fairfield, and Nelson's is
regularly seen there during the fall. This is the weekend the former shows
up there, so it is definitely worth it to start checking. Evenings and
early mornings are best. Park in the lot behind the Senior Center (off of
Mona Terrace) and scan the marsh with a scope. Sparrows can be seen flying
amongst the grasses, and one should eventually tee up for you.

As for Seaside, that species has only been recorded once at Pine Creek, so
a trip outside of town would be necessary. I get Seaside annually at Hammo
(usually on trips to and from Cape Cod), but as you mentioned, they are
known to breed closer to home in places like Stratford.

Good Luck!

Alex Burdo