[CT Birds] Hammo, 5-18-15

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue May 19 09:50:20 EDT 2015

After reading the reports I decided to tear myself away from  Boston Hollow
and take a trip to East Rock yesterday. But I was disappointed to  find
very little when I got there (of course I was by the museum when the  Mourning
Warbler was found on the rock).
About 10:00 I bailed out and headed for Hammo. and I  had a great day
there! didn't leave till after 5:30 PM. I spent most of my time  at Willard's and
the Meig's Point area.
Willard's was hopping with Warblers, mostly in the trees out at  the tip
and in the cedars at the beginning of the causeway at the parking  lot, which
I discovered on my way back. I ended up standing there and watching  them
for 3 hours. They were feeding on a swarm of flying insects high  up in the
tree tops. Tree Swallows enjoying the feast too.  Not the  hightest species
count, but included WILSON'S And Blackpoll, which were the 2 I  really wanted
to see at East Rock. Also, nice to see the armada of Ospreys and  some of
the shorebird species again. Little Blue Heron in the Rock Pond at  Meigs.

Hammonasset--Meig's Point, New Haven, US-CT
May 18, 2015 10:30 AM - 5:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Most  birds observed on or near Willard's island
51 species (+1 other  taxa)

Canada Goose  20
Mute Swan  2
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  2
Common Loon  6
Double-crested Cormorant   15
Little Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  4
Osprey   15
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Clapper Rail  1
Semipalmated  Plover  9
Killdeer  4
peep sp.  8
Ring-billed Gull   X
Herring Gull  X
Great Black-backed Gull  X
Least Tern   1
Forster's Tern  2     Orange bills with black tips.  Long tails. Bottom of
cap runs through eye.
Mourning Dove   4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Great  Crested Flycatcher  1
Warbling Vireo  6
Red-eyed Vireo   8
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  3
Northern Rough-winged  Swallow  2
Tree Swallow  50
Black-capped Chickadee   5
Tufted Titmouse  2
House Wren  1
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher  2
American Robin  10
Gray Catbird   15
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  8
American  Redstart  8
Northern Parula  6
Magnolia Warbler   1
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  12
Chestnut-sided  Warbler  6
Blackpoll Warbler  8     Both male and  female, in several places
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Canada  Warbler  1
Wilson's Warbler  1     In cedars at  beginning of Willard's causeway, with
many other species.
Eastern  Towhee  1
Song Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal   2