[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed May 20 18:56:03 EDT 2015

​5/20  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center,  9:45-1Pm,
low tide rising,  around 60F, overcast, breezy.
9:45-10, walking to LIS side and platform:
Many new nest boxes (for tree swallows) installed by a gracious neighbor .
Yellow warbler singing, Blue headed vireo skulking in bushes, grackles,
Song sparrows,
20 Black bellied plovers, semi-palmated sandpipers, and least sandpipers, 9
Piping Plovers, 2 Snowy egrets, 1 mallard, 1 Great egret, D.C. Cormorants.

Our ospreys are parents!  I saw 2 chicks and an egg, but apparently now
there are 3 chicks-scrawny, like mini dinosaurs, all tucked under the mom.
At 10am, the female was on the nest.
10:20 and 12:50 the male brought in individual fish, feeding the female,
and she proceeded to feed the chicks.
At 10:20 a Peregrine falcon was on a muddy rock on the marsh, devouring
something with
white feathers.
Our Purple martin colony is active.  A female brought in a branch and the
male proceeded to guard the entrance to that gourd.  Many martins flying
about and singing.
On marsh: Least terns flying around and on grounds-
Grackles, mourning doves, cardinals, Red winged blackbirds, Robins, Song
sparrows.
A class of very inquisitive children (human).
Bev Propen, Orange