[CT Birds] Silver Sands Shorebird report

wirthwitte at att.net wirthwitte at att.net
Fri May 22 22:50:42 EDT 2015

At Silver Sands from 2-4pm today looking for Piping Plovers fruitlessly.  Did see flock of 25 Semi-Palmated Plovers mixed with 15 smaller, brown back/pale belly black billed other sandpipers (sorry, bad birder). Also a Least Tern pair resting, then hawking for insects together, then resting, etc at tide line right by the designated nesting area (!) near Walnut Beach. Plus a third Least Tern joined them and it looked to me like it was driven away with aggressive dive-bombing.  Also a different Least Tern pair with a Common Tern pair and over 15 Ruddy Turnstones in vivid breeding plumage on a stone jetty further east. (At different times, I saw maybe 2 other Common Terns and 4 other Least Terns flying thrilling acrobatics in stiff winds but it was hard to ID or count as they whipped around.) And I am pretty sure I saw a Glossy Ibis fly in and over the marsh. First I thought it was a cormorant because it was a big, heavy black bird, but in the bins it had a long down-curving beak and a very glossy rich reddish-brown mantle and back. Do they nest on Charles Island?
Winie Wirth, Milford