[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 5-24-15 Raven young have fledged, now in school.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun May 24 20:23:37 EDT 2015

Yesterday (Saturday, 5/23/15) the Common Ravens from the nest  in Boston
Hollow left the nest and were sitting in trees with the adults, about  a
quarter mile from the nest. They were calling frequently with relatively high
pitched squawks and being answered by the parents. From the sounds I would
say there are 2 fledglings.
Today they were in the same area but very near Boston Hollow  Road, and
apparently being schooled on how to fly through the woods and in  general, how
to be Ravens. I believe 1 adult had charge of each juvenile. They  flew back
and forth across the road several times, and frequently perched in  trees
in easy view. Of course the entire scene was very noisy with the parents
deep calls and the juvie's higher pitched answers, but they did sound more like
 Ravens today.  This is about a week earlier than the Ravens in Boston
Hollow have fledged in the past when I have observed them.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
May 24, 2015 7:45 AM - 12:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
56 species

Canada Goose   2
Turkey Vulture  3
Mourning Dove  5
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied  Sapsucker  5
Downy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker   2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  12
Least Flycatcher  5

Eastern  Phoebe  10
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird   2
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo   10
Blue Jay  6
Common Raven  4     2 adults and 2  fledglings
Tree Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Tufted  Titmouse  2
Winter Wren  1