[CT Birds] Alder Flycatcher leads many species continued at Barn Island (Stonington)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun May 24 21:26:52 EDT 2015

Brilliant sunshine lasted all day long at Barn Island WMA in Stonington.  High numbers of yellow warblers and gray catbirds counted through the impoundments, plus three locations hosting groups of American Redstarts.  Twenty-three glossy ibis were taking cover near the reeds at the northern boundaries of the first three impoundments.  Less than five snowy egrets and great egrets were seen.  Numerous willets were shrieking throughout the marsh.  A northern harrier female flew over an impoundment as the red-winged blackbirds were harassing all larger birds in the late morning.  Two least terns were present all day long and I found two American Oystercatchers who took a fast track west in the afternoon.  One saltmarsh sparrow flew down to the bay in the morning.  All the usual mix of gulls, shorebirds, and songbirds present through the marsh although I noticed an absence of woodpeckers.  Up to the meadow I heard one.  Cedar waxwings, bluebirds, swallows, Baltimore Orioles and an imm. male orchard oriole noted in the meadow.The alder flycatcher made a nice picture, showing the narrow yet present eye-ring, proper coloration, primary extension, and the selection of background.  Link is below.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/17875131129/in/dateposted-public/

Brian Williams
Griswold