[CT Birds] Prothonotary warbler

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 18 10:35:50 EDT 2015

Better directions to the Prothonotary Warbler than from my phone....
The bird was hunting, calling and eating alongside the Farmington Canal Rails to Trails between South Brooksvale Rd and North Brooksvale Rd which is in Cheshire. Closest to South Brooksvale Rd but no parking there so parking is best at Lock #12 on North Brooksvale Rd.  Walk south.  There is water and beaver activity all along the right (west) side of the trail and is where the bird was.  The exact location is directly across from one of the memorial benches that is for Margaret Hobson but there is a good stretch of similar habitat there.
Note: Do not confuse this location with Brooksvale Avenue in Hamden.  Same trail but about 3/4 mile north.

We watched it from very close catching and eating a very large dragonfly which was very cool.

Jim and Carol Zipp

The Fat Robin Wild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
Toll Free U.S.  1-866-Fat-Robin