[CT Birds] Fairfield Big Day 2015

James Purcell jpurcell1616 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 23:34:26 EDT 2015

Unfortunately, Alex Burdo couldn't join me for the annual Fairfield Big Day
today due to a conflict, but I felt like he was with me the whole time with
all of his impeccable notes about the route and specific species. I
couldn't have had nearly the success I did without all that Alex, so thanks!

The total for the day was 114 species, which isn't spectacular but it's
pretty amazing considering there were northwest winds and almost zero radar
activity the night before! There were several pretty bad misses, but the
highlights were the following:

Larsen Sanctuary: Wood Duck, Pileated Woodpecker, Acadian Flycatcher,
Blackburnian Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Mourning Warbler (in back of
clearing with cedars behind Wildlife Pond), Wilson's Warbler, Canada Warbler

Hoyden's Hill: Wild Turkey, Worm-eating Warbler, Indigo Bunting, Lincoln's

Pine Creek: Clapper Rail, Lesser Yellowlegs, Saltmarsh Sparrow, Seaside
Sparrow (calling at 3:20 am behind the senior center)

Penfield Reef: American Oystercatcher (3)

Grace Richardson: Alder Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher

Brett Woods: Yellow-throated Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Hemlock Reservoir: Cliff Swallow

Jennings Beach: Brown Thrasher

Lake Mohegan: Tennessee Warbler

Birdcraft Sanctuary: Chestnut-sided Warbler

Townwide owling at 3:45 am: Great Horned Owl duet! (A pretty uncommon
species in Fairfield)

All in all it was a fantastic day, albeit a bit more about quality then
quantity. I already can't wait until next year!

James Purcell