[CT Birds] 5/21/15 Farmington river, Meadow road, Night Hawks, near the community gardens

Tarponted tarponted at gmail.com
Fri May 22 20:16:00 EDT 2015

While fly fishing, a hatch of large mayflies happened. About fifty feet over head swifts were concentrating on other insects. At twilight dozens of night hawks buzzed about just over our heads. Trout started breaking the surface feeding on the emerging flies. The night hawks swept over the surface of the river. I stopped casting, fearing I’d snag a night hawk. It was somewhere between awesome and a religious experience. The Farmington river’s insects provides a smorgasbord for birds and fish.
I never saw night hawks on this river before. Were they migrating through?
Ted Rzepski