[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 5-25-15; FOY BB CUCKOO and Cedar Waxwings

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon May 25 15:04:52 EDT 2015

Braved the ticks (16 and counting, altogether) and took a  walk through
last winter's logging slash, down to Bigelow Brook. From the  other side of the
marsh I could hear an FOY Black-billed Cuckoo. Might  be the same one that
was in that area last year; he only pairs 2 notes in his  call. I first
heard him on May 31st last year.
In the old logging area on Kinney Hollow Rd I saw 1 and heard 2  more Cedar
Waxwings, also FOY.
Saw the head of a bird in some deep cover at the side of the  road and
thought it might be a Grouse. I could hear little "cooing" sounds.  Turned out
to be a hen Turkey. She was cooing to a flock of about 15  poults, the size
of an Easter chick. Couldn't have been hatched more than a day  or 2 ago.
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
May 25, 2015 7:30 AM - 1:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:     FOY  Cedar Waxwings and BB Cuckoo
61 species

Canada Goose  2
Wood  Duck  1
Wild Turkey  17     2 adult females, one  with c 15 poults about the size
of Easter chicks
Broad-winged Hawk   2     Both sitting on branches low down in trees. When
flushed  they flew a little way and perched again.
Mourning Dove   6
Black-billed Cuckoo  1     Calling,  FOY
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated  Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Least Flycatcher   6
Eastern Phoebe  12
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern  Kingbird  2     Apparently one was sitting on or building a  nest
in a  fir tree. A little early for that.
Blue-headed Vireo   1
Warbling Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  15
Blue Jay   8
American Crow  1
Common Raven  2
Tree Swallow   3
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  5
Red-breasted  Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Winter Wren   1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Veery  10     Took a  walk off the road and flushed one from almost under
my feet. When I looked,  found a nest with 4 bright blue eggs (and
thankfully, no Cowbird eggs).   Bushwacked around it on the way out.
Hermit Thrush  1
American  Robin  10
Gray Catbird  15
Cedar Waxwing  3   FOY