[CT Birds] Wood Duck behavior

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 14:43:10 EDT 2015

A lot of ducks practice brood parasitism or dump their brood on another hen's brood and take off.  As I remember it from a nature show or two, the new mother never notices - or cares if she does notice.  It could be a case where both mothers benefit.  One gets to be free of any responsibility and the other gains protection in number for her own offspring.  It is not as if ducks have to feed the ducklings, just look out for them. I have not heard of a hen driving young away.

Glenn Williams