[CT Birds] Westport AMOY chicks

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 12:54:33 EDT 2015

AJ Hand and I found 6 American Oystercatcher chicks on Cockenoe Island and the Cockenoe sand spit today. Five of the young were found with the adult birds on the easternmost section of the island and we suspect that two adult pairs nested in this area in addition to the sand spit where they nest along with the Common Terns.
We also noticed more nesting of egrets and herons on the east end of the island.The nesting area appears to be expanding.
This is a strong argument for closing off Cockenoe Island to the public during the nesting season. We did see two people walking on the east end of the island in the area where we saw the oystercatchers.

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone