[CT Birds] Chester, 5/30 - heron flyover, or crane?

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sat May 30 08:41:21 EDT 2015

Chester, 5/30 - Just before 8:00am this morning, I heard an odd sound
coming from just below our treeline: a repetitive "conk-conk-conk"
sound, coming in threes. I thought at first that it was a woodpecker
down in the woods, then I saw a large bird flying over, in the spaces
between the trees. It had very broad, long wings, which made me think of
a great blue heron, but its neck was stretched straight out. It flew
over very quickly (not as "leisurely" as I've seen herons fly) and was
partially obscured by the trees. But I was struck by the neck posture
and the vocalization, which I also didn't recognize as heron.
Any chance it was a crane? It was traveling due north to south, a bit to
the east. Keep an eye out!
~  Tammy Eustis, Chester