[CT Birds] Connecticut Audubon's Raven Lunatics Big Day 2915

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Sat May 30 14:32:00 EDT 2015

Hi all,

It started as it always does, with the five of us standing together at midnight in a marsh in Hartford County, with high hopes. Our team - the Connecticut Audubon Society's Raven Lunatics (Nick Bonomo, Patrick Dugan, Frank Gallo, Dave Tripp and Fran Zygmont) - was beginning its annual Big Day, a 24-hour birding competition and fundraiser for the Coastal Center at Milford Point. We hoped to raise $7500 in pledges to support the Coastal Center's educational and conservation initiatives.  It would also be a chance to best our Big Day record of 192 species and to finally reach our goal of finding 200 species in a 24-hour period in Connecticut, a goal that no team in New England has yet accomplished...

We finished the day with 191 species. Our second highest total. It was a truly memorable experience. We found three species we'd never seen on a big day before and saw many others we'd only seen on few occasions. When White-faced Ibis and Saw-whet Owl aren't the rarest birds for the day, you know you've had a remarkable run.... Read the full story on our webpage www.ctaudubon.org<http://www.ctaudubon.org>.  Just click through to the Coastal Center's page.

We want to thank all our new and long-time supporters of the Connecticut Audubon Society Coastal Center and our team, the Raven Lunatics. We can't do this without your generosity and support. The Connecticut birding community once again provided us with heaps of information about the whereabouts of our many target species, from ducks to loons and grebes. We thank you all. For those who would still like to contribute towards our $7500 goal, it's not too late. A donation form can be found here: https://ssl.charityweb.net/ctaudubon/BigDay.htm, and there is also a link to an online donation page on our webpage, if you would rather donate directly on line.

Thank you once again. The kids and the center have benefited greatly. It was a great run. We'll be back next year to do it again!

Frank Gallo, Associate Director
Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
1 Milford Point Road, Milford 06460
203-878-7440 x 501

And the Raven Lunatics: Nick Bonomo, Patrick Dugan, David Tripp, and Fran Zygmont