[CT Birds] Action Needed Tonight to Save Quinebaug WMA from Conveyance!

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Jun 3 00:48:47 EDT 2015

This message below was sent to CTBirds by Sandy Breslin but for reasons not entirely clear it was blocked.  Because of the apparent urgency I am posting it myself, though I am not personally familiar with what is going on.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear CT Birders:

The General Assembly finishes its work tomorrow, but we need you to take action TONIGHT or TOMORROW MORNING!

Good News:

Thanks to you and the more than 800 people who signed our petition opposing proposals to transfer portions of Silver Sands to the City of Milford and allow two private sand and gravel mining companies to build heavy-duty access roads across two sensitive habitats areas in the Quinebaug Wildlife Management Area in eastern Connecticut – habitat for state endangered Spade foot toad and other species – have been removed from the Annual Conveyance Bill!

Bad News:

Right now, there is a last-ditch effort to include these controversial sand and gravel conveyances in the Quinebaug in various budget bills that must be voted on so the General Assembly can finish its work.  Because the budget vote will be close, it’s creating unfortunate opportunities – like this one – for last-second horse-trading.

ACT NOW:

Contact the following lawmakers IMMEDIATELY and ask them to REMOVE any provisions to transfer state parks or other conservation lands – especially ANY provisions that would allow sand and gravel companies to build private access roads across the Quinebaug Wildlife Management Area from the budget. (Sample text below)

CONTACT:

House Speaker Brendan Sharkey (J.Brendan.Sharkey at cga.ct.gov)
Majority Leader Joe Aresimonwicz (Joe.Aresimowicz at cga.ct.gov)
Sen. Mae Flexer (Flexer at senatedems.ct.gov)
Rep. Christine Rosati (Christine.Rosati at cga.ct.gov)
Rep. Doug Dubitsky (Doug.Dubitsky at housegop.ct.gov)

Thank you for your prompt action tonight!

SAMPLE MESSAGE: