[CT Birds] Norwalk Islands

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Thu Jun 4 21:31:13 EDT 2015

Norwalk Islands, Fairfield, Connecticut, US
Jun 4, 2015 11:45 AM - 3:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Boat survey, very incomplete due to 15- 20 kt SE wind and rough seas
24 species

Canada Goose  12
Gadwall  4
American Black Duck  6
Mallard  15
Double-crested Cormorant  200
Great Egret  30
Snowy Egret  6
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  3
Osprey  20
American Oystercatcher  35     33 adults 2 almost mature fledges, I am very concerned about the lack of young birds at this time of year.
There seem to be way to many Great Black Back Gulls hanging around the nesting grounds this year, I know for sure that they are a issue on these islands, but it has grown.
Certainly I will go out on a limb and suggest that many oystercatchers are now renesting due to gull predation of their first clutch. Some are just hanging out and may have given up? Not sure?
Black-bellied Plover  1
Willet  3
Ruddy Turnstone  4
Semipalmated Sandpiper  1