[CT Birds] Naugatuck S.F. Whip-poor-wills, and a good morning birding in Southbury.

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Sun Jun 7 11:52:13 EDT 2015

Did my DEEP Night-birds survey at Naug S.F. this AM with Whip-poor-wills at two survey spots. One was at the end of Hunter's Mt Rd. and the second was at a trail head on Spruce Brook Rd. (also referred to as Black Forest Rd.) just southeast of the shooting range.  I was hiking out of the Oxford reservoir trails as the dawn chorus was starting up.  Heard a Canada Warbler and a Worm-eating Warbler at a trail junction where I've heard them for several years in the past.       I headed up to Southbury to look for the Chat on Spruce Brook Rd. No luck with the Chat but did hear a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Brown Thrasher and Bobolinks in the area. Others were still looking for the Chat when I left so hopefully they were successful.  On Cassidy Rd I did hear an Eastern Meadowlark calling from the area with the electric fencing on the left, and several Bobolinks were seen there as well.  I also heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, but not sure if it was the same bird or a different one from Spruce Brook.  A Willow Flycatcher was busy searching both sides of the road for food.  My final stop was Shepaug Dam where there were at about a dozen Cliff Swallows over the fields below the Dam.
Jack Swatt        Wolcott