[CT Birds] Volunteers needed next Tuesday to help plant marsh grass

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Jun 3 07:46:40 EDT 2015

I wanted to get the word out about this, but details are still sparse at this point.   We just learned that Sacred Heart University has located 1,000 pots of surplus Spartina that will be delivered to Stratford Point on Tuesday, June 9th.  Volunteers, shovels and wheelbarrows will be needed, but I don't yet have details on the time or what specific tasks we will need help with.  This all will make the shorebird habitat at Stratford Point even better and help to control coastal erosion.   Please stay tuned for more details and/or contact us if you might be available at ctwaterbirds at gmail.com

Thank you!

PS  We are hoping to open the property back up soon at least during working hours as the demolition and blacktop removal projects wind down.  The habitat should be even better than it was and there is a nice rain puddle where the loop driveway used to be.   Hopefully one day it will have a phalarope in it!

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road