[CT Birds] Ring-necked Duck - Mid Haddam BBS route

Dasinger, Andrew M UTRC dasingam at utrc.utc.com
Mon Jun 8 14:38:19 EDT 2015

While doing my Breeding Bird Survey route yesterday I came across a male Ring-necked Duck on Peck's Meadow Pond in East Haddam. This large shallow pond and surrounding wetlands are off of Geoffrey Road, within the extensive block of property owned by the East Haddam Fishing and Game Club. Clearly it's well south of the breeding range for this species. There is a nesting record from Ashfield, MA, in 1977. More than likely the bird was unable to migrate for some reason, but still interesting.

Andrew Dasinger
South Glastonbury