[CT Birds] Connecticut nesting eider

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 18:29:23 EDT 2015

There are no nesting records for eider in Connecticut.  Nesting Common Eider were confirmed on South Dumpling Island just over our border in NY about a decade ago.  I no longer get to go out there, but I was told that they continue this spring - with considerably fewer nests than found originally.  Conditions on the island have degraded.  I don't know how far young eider swim from their nests but it seems possible that the eider that Tina found could have originated in another state.  It also seems like a matter of time before they do nest in Connecticut,  There has been some debate as to whether or not our islands provide the proper conditions for them on CTBirds in the past.  Does anyone know how far downy young can range?
Glenn WilliamsMystc