[CT Birds] Another Acadain, Southbury

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 13:40:35 EDT 2015

6-10-15 Flag Swamp Park, Southbury. One Acadian Flycatcher singing in this beautiful hemlock glen, which is a historic spot for this species. Also present were 2 very vocal Winter Wrens and a Louisiana Waterthrush. Neil Currie pointed this spot out to me more than a 20 years ago as a reliable place for Acadian in western CT. It's been a few years since I checked it. The park is open to Southbury residents only, but the very quiet, paved Flag Swamp Road runs the entire length of the glen, offering good access to the birds.
For what it's worth, I also checked Whittemore Sanctuary in Woodbury, which has produced Acadians in recent years, but didn't have one this morning.
Greg Hanisek