[CT Birds] Another volunteer opportunity at Stratford Point for next Wednesday evening...to make migrant sparrow habitat!

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jun 11 17:33:42 EDT 2015

I've arranged to have a feed plot installed where the clubhouse stood at Stratford Point, thanks to help from DuPont, the landowner.   The planting is slated for tomorrow and it should be full of birds by September.  They are planting millet and black oil sunflowers and some other grains in a mix of composted manure.   I have a bunch of packets of fancy sunflower seeds and cosmos, as well as some hummingbird vine plants, as well as some bayberry, a few perennial nectar plants and a northern prickly ash (the host plant for giant swallowtails, curtesy of Broken Arrow Nursery).    In any case, I am thinking of having a small volunteer work party to plant seeds and the other plants here next Wednesday evening starting at 6 PM.   Please let me know if you might be able to help and maybe you'll get to see something spectacular in the feed plot come September or October and have the satisfaction that you helped to make it happen!

Please email me if you might be interested.   Thanks!

PS we could probably always use some more fancy sunflowers or cosmos if anyone wants to bring their own seeds!  I still haven't been able to find any Mexican sunflower seeds, so that would be high on the list.   I find them to be a favorite of finches.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road