[CT Birds] Waterford: Millstone Powercut

Carolyn sailcarm at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 13:40:41 EDT 2015

It has been at least three years since I have birded in the powercut across from the Millstone Nuclear Station on Rt. 156 in Waterford.  Repair work and maintenance to the access roads and pylons has kept it under my radar until recently.

So I took a walk there this morning and had the following:

1 White-eyed Vireo, actually a bit before the entrance to the powercut, just to the left of the nursing home entrance

1 Willow Flycatcher, heard singing
2 Prairie Warblers
1 Blue-winged Warbler
3 No. Rough-winged Swallows, possibly

2 Orchard Orioles, one of which was a first year male

1 Great Crested Flycatcher
2 House Wrens
2 Towhees
1 Red-shoulder Hawk

Numerous Yellow Warblers, Common Yellowthroats, Catbirds, Song Sparrows, and RW Blackbirds

Nothing that was not typical of an early successional habitat, but it was still nice to know that the birds I used to see there somehow survived all the repair and construction of the last 3 years.

Carolyn Cimino

Sent from my iPhone