[CT Birds] Wednesday birding habitat work party at Stratford Point update

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Jun 15 11:18:01 EDT 2015

Thinks are shaping up for Wednesday evening's work party at Stratford Point.   I have four bayberry bushes thanks to a donation by Jan Allyn.  Ten black-and-blue salvia thanks to a donation by a coworker and four pineapple sage.  We could use some more pineapple sage if someone wants to donate some :)...hoping to attract a rare hummingbird or two.   I have a flat of already started cosmos, one coneflower, one Mexican hyssop and a catmint and a tray of started red morning glories and cardinal creeper vines and one northern prickly ash (thanks to Andy Brand and Broken Arrow Nursery).  Finally I have many packs of fancy sunflowers, cosmos, yellow cosmos, orange and yellow Mexican sunflowers (thanks to Donna Caporaso) to plant an  hoping to get a 10 pound bag of millet.   I even got a few corn seedlings for the center of the feed plot.

The contractors raked in a bunch of black oil sunflower seeds and other miscellaneous feed plants into the area where the clubhouse used to be.

Anyone who is available on Wednesday from 6 PM on to dusk would be much appreciated!   Bring along a pack or two of your favorite variety of sunflowers or cosmos to plant.  The more the merrier!

Tentatively on July 7th we're going to be adding some further perennial nectar plantings with the Bridgeport WildLife Guards.

And yes, the site will  be opened back up to the public at some point soon, at least during business hours until we can get a volunteer corps to open it up more often.

Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation