[CT Birds] Southbury and Woodbury, June 17 - 19

Scott Baron razorbill1 at msn.com
Fri Jun 19 13:18:38 EDT 2015

Hi,

While visiting my family for a few days, I birded some old haunts and found some nice birds.  Highlight was probably Hooded Warbler at Whittemore Sanctuary.

Orenaug Park, Woodbury
June 17
This underbirded park is located on a trap rock ridge and has some nice breeding species.
Black Vultures (2) flew overhead, a species I never would have expected when I lived here 20 years ago.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (females).   One was visiting its nest cavity with begging young in an oak.  Not a breeder here many years ago.
Hermit Thrush (5 including 1 imm.)
Blackburnian Warbler (3 males)
Pine Warbler (6m)
Black-throated Green Warbler (3m)
On the east edge of the park near a gravel pit were Prairie Warbler and Field Sparrow.

Whittemore Sanctuary, Woodbury
Another underbirded area.  Lots of neat plants and dragonflies there.
June 18
Hooded Warbler (1m).  Located on SE side of bog.

Southbury, parents' home
June 18
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1)
Chipping Sparrow (1) singing at 9:45pm (!)

Hollow Park, Woodbury
June 19
nothing too notable, but a Willow Flycatcher near the main pond was nice

Happy birding,

Scott Baron
Gaithersburg, Md.