[CT Birds] Unknown bird song - ID help?

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Jun 24 17:53:03 EDT 2015

The bird really is a Magnolia Warbler, and I think I have that  pretty well
nailed down. After  I sent my post I decided to do some more  research and
found the answer in my own computer files. The problem was, it took  me an
hour to figure out where I got it from.
I have a file titled "Magnolia Warbler" (an MP3) and no other  information.
It is, in fact, a file of several versions of  the "Maggie"  song, but the
very first one is a nearly exact match to my recorded sound.  Probably the
reason I never added it to my Ipod is because it has a man's voice  at the
beginning stating the bird's name.
But the voice is not from the Stokes recordings I have or  anything else I
recognized, so I had no idea where I got it.
After going through a stack of CDs I finally found it. It's a  CD that I
got for free from a welcome center at a birding  hotspot.
I also got an email from Tom De Boor, and I hope he doesn't  mind me
quoting from it:

"It sounds like a Magnolia to me, at least the Magnolias that  migrate
through the Midwest--maybe there are regional dialects of the song and  you've
got a Midwestern bird that ended up in Connecticut, which might make it
sound a bit off."

Actually, I have now heard at least 2 birds singing this  song, so it is
probably not very unusual.

The CD I have is from the Welcome Center at Magee Marsh in  Ohio, and is of
the 38 warblers found in that state. The song pattern is almost  identical.
The difference in the sound quality is between my recording equipment  and
that used to make the file, I'm sure.
I have edited that File to just the first song and added it to  Dropbox,
link below. I know people still have problems accessing things there,  but if
you get a white box that says "sign in", just click the little X in the
upper right hand corner and it will disappear and let you see the post and use
the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p9goqb7a517fnab/AABSZeiJkQFoKz5AFdNwzLY3a?dl=0

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com